Peace on the earth and the heavens above

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Family Matters
Even though life has been comparitively easy for me, I can say that I've had my fair share of trouble and low times. Its during all these times that I've realized one fundamental truth about life: having a supportive family is the biggest boon a person can have.

Ofcourse the definition of what constitutes a supportive family is entirely upto the individual. I've had my share of anger with my mother, father and brother. They've had their's towards me. But at the end of the day, we're family and we're there for each other when things go wrong. Life, by the way seems to go wrong most of the time and being alone during such times makes things seem all the more so.

When the day hasn't been going good, when people have been rather mean, during heart burn etc etc I've always found a sounding board in my family. They've seen me at my best and worst and love me all the same. Its this security that's the biggest asset in a family. The security of returning HOME to people who you know inside out, whom you know the same way and whom you still love anyways.

But I also understand the reverse side of the coin: times when your family and you don't get along, times when there is a difference in opinions et al. Whats important is to get done with it. Its important for families to understand that members are also individual personalities by themselves. period. They should not be unduly restricted and bound. But at the same time they should not be left neglected and in harm's way.

I know of enough families that have broken apart due to a lack of this attitude. Then there are those that can hardly be called families. There is such a dirth of affection. Its tragic. Throughout my life and especially during my years as a psychology student I found that people coming from dysfunctional families generally pave their way to self destruction.

Yes, you may say that many rich and famous folk hail from such backgrounds but please note just how successful they are as individuals. Doing drugs, making regular trips to rehab is NOT IN. Many of their lives are so screwed up, its a recipe for disaster. Just today morning I was seeing a a VH1 documentary on Britney Spear's early life and really all the muck she has landed herself into is the doing of a totally out-of-function family life and a not-so-healthy early childhood.

As human beings, we are the most incapable as kids. If at that time there is not the requisite support a child's life either ends or brews into inexplicable damage. Sadly, as we progress as a society we deteriorate as a family. Its there everywhere. With love from the west to the east.

There are many question marks- about orphans, about people from broken families, about people who have moved away from their families. But really, a family is nothing but a group of people you BELONG to. Wherever the feeling of belongingness brews, a genuine concern, a patient ear and a loving heart emerges, a family is awaiting you. Whoever said that families are only biological was ignorant.

Your family finds you: biological or otherwise. Once it does, try evolving into a bit of the family person. Home bodies aren't that bad after all and for all you know, they are capable of more love than you can even imagine.

PS: Nihi, this one's for you girl:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home