Peace on the earth and the heavens above

Monday, September 25, 2006

The death of Mahatma Gandhi
There was a great man, from my country, who taught our big nation small things with big meanings. His name was M.K. Gandhi, fondly remembered as 'bapu' or "father of the nation".
Its his birthday on the 2nd of October and strangely, I find that his birthday just reminds me of the years that have passed since his death. More so, the death of his invaluable lessons-those small things with big meanings.

Recently, Shaheen and me went to watch a beautiful movie dedicated to him- "Lage raho Munna Bhai" translated as "Keep at it, young brother". Now, for all these big shot memories of bapu, I was more keen on watching a chick flick. Haven't involved in brainless comedy for a LONG time. While she, the non-Indian, Pakistani girl with the mystical eyes...wanted to WATCH it REAL BAD! So, I gave in. So many people literally imploring me to watch it....Call me shifty(I'm a Gemini) but sadly this is the case with many of my fellow Indians. Atleast I remember Bapu, his birthday and to a certain extent practise his preaching.

The movie cleared the dust that seemed to have gathered on my respect for the man and his teachings. Yes! I admire people like that. I don't think they are losers in the modern context. Just that they are beyond the respect and understanding of ordinary folk.

Ordinary people fight, scream, bitch 24/7, are loud, are only concerned with day to day dressing, their boyfriends and girlfriends, their grades (for some), their job WHATEVER- they are just ordinary...sadly 90% of us are like that.

Lets talk about India. 40% of us, live under the poverty line, most of us fight with our fellows- the south Indian ridicules the North Indian, the North Indian looks down on the south Indian, they fight with their neighbours, the rich folks dress up-just to look in, put on the FAKE accents,boast about our stupid trips abroad, "hey you know, I just went to Australia". Morons...I'll be suprised if they can even tell that Australia is down south of the globe and taken as one of the continents. I've encountered such ridiculous people so often that I don't even want to say any more. You know, sometimes I look around and find that I'm not Ms. popular, I don't have many buddies. But I'm glad that I don't have friends like that, who would shame enemies. These are people who turn around and say (in their made up, more American than original American accent) "WTF, please don't tell me that following bapu is in...the guy got himself SHOT girl. His non-violent simplicity s**t is dead and irretrievable" These are the people who have truly killed Bapu. For people die, but their memories live on. These people are even killing his memories-all his words and teachings.

I'll do a small follow up on Bapu...perhaps on his birthday, with a short write up on HIS STUFF. I think every person has something to learn from this man and the many others in his sphere- Lincoln, Churchill, Roosevelt, M.L. King and the like.

For now, I'll conclude the entry with a beautiful piece of advice from Gandhi, a.k.a The Mahatma (divine soul) and you'll hopefully see just how rocking he is..
"Freedom is not worth having if it doesn't include the freedom to make mistakes"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home