Peace on the earth and the heavens above

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Thou shalt see thy self....
Ok..so the archaic English simply means..YOU SHALL SEE YOURSELF...and was used because currently I'm reading Shakespeare in his original style..which for any of you sceptics is ARCHAIC...Anyways...

During my first semester in Ngee Ann Mass communications, I came across a rather interesting comment during an ice-breaking session. When asked to tell the class something about themselves, one of my classmates said in a classic, unabashed and casual manner: I love myself! Narracisstic, you might think..but actually I quite admired his honesty. Not many people would risk immodesty by making such a statement. However, as time passes I realize that we go through and tolerate so much rubbish just because we don't want to be titled immodest and I think thats the biggest bit of RUBBISH (with the british accent where the U has a characteristic pronunciation. I'll enunciate it for some of you if and when we meet, otherwise you may just want to hear the British cricket commentators).

Anyways, the point of this entry is not about immodesty or british accent(!)..its more about loving yourself. You know, how my entry on love emphasised that love is not simply restricted to the narrow dimension we give it and well Oscar Wilde, one of my favourite English authors emphasised it in the following thought: Love can sometimes be as simple as loving oneself. Ofcourse I don't propound the very childish and bordering on arrogant philosophy: I matter more than anybody else. But much rather I matter as much as anybody else...(and sometimes a bit more :P).

I know more than a handful of people with high potential, who in facing life's daily battles have forgotten to love themselves and give themselves that crucial pat on the back regularly. Mistakes happen daily, people screw up regularly...its NOTHING new. So whats the point in constantly looking at what went wrong, repenting and discouraging oneself? Looking at what went right is so much better. As for what went wrong...just learn from your mistakes and MOVE ON...Trust me...Here you have a master..uhmm..mistress..uhmm...whatever.. speaking with a truckload of experience....(Just incase ur wondering, master is male and mistress connotes something totally different:!)

Events in my life have taught me that if I can't be agreeable to myself and always depend on outside people for my dose of encouragement..I'll NEVER progress. Most people are selfish.period. Its you..and your closest family that you can count on..Even god they say only helps those who help themselves....so you're seeing the importance of this...yah?

You know one look at myself and I can point fingers at so many things...the list is endless but the bottomline is that I still like to appreciate what I have and thats what I feel everyone should do..Its this one short life we have with us and nobody would be getting out of it alive as it is..so why not ENJOY while you're breathing..haha...Have fun YOUR way and DON'T feel sorry about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home