Peace on the earth and the heavens above

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Is beauty Everything?
Now, I was just watching the cartoon: "Hunchback of the Notre Dame II"...poor Quassimodo. For the uninitiated, he's the hunchback. Eventhough its a cartoon and I know all that jazz about the difference between reel and real, but still I'm being rather drawn and irritated by all this rarara about beauty being EVERYTHING.

Is it really so important for you to only have an eye for the beauty and ignore the beast all together. Is being beautiful the start all and end all for people. Why are people going bonkers about their look, always bothered about how they look, how others look at them, do the right people see them...Oh dear, that oh-so-cute fella in my class...how I wish to draw his eye...like ewww....girl..hold it..and I'm not going to spare the guys...puhleaze..I know more than 1 guy who spends hours gelling and setting his hair, choosing his clothes, his shoes..what not..(Even though I'm single, I am NOT a nouveau at these things...GOT A TEENAGE BRO AT HOME FOR WHAT?)

But really jokes apart...I'm FED UP....wherever I look, I see people trying so hard with their look-EVERYWHERE. You know how every morning you look in the mirror and check out yourself. How everytime you try to look your best and feel your best and ask yourself whether particular people would notice you...

Well..Nothing wrong there. I won't be a hypocrite..I've taken part in the guilty pleasure myself..haha. But honestly, what REALLY irritates me is the feeling of helplessness we sometimes give those who may not look so good. The stare when you glance at that FAT person on the street, the handicapped person,the disfigured person, the defaced person, the pretty average person, how you gossip maliciously about that not-so-in person...Just check out some Oprah episodes for a check.

That I will say without a flinch..is wrong..and no, I'm not being immodest but honestly I've indulged in my share of girly bitching but never about people who suffer like this. But yes, I've heard people bitch like that...or maybe not bitch but just pass these nasty comments about the way a certain someone looks and what upsets me is that I've simply been an audience and never refuted.

I know people who recount such negative experiences about their life during their not-so-good looking days and it has affected me in a not-so-good way. So I blog about it, sharing my experience.

There is a certain girl, who during her "fat girl" days was so shunned by her classmates that it affected her to the extent of contemplating suicide! Thank god that she developed the courage and decided to get in shape rather than get up, above...Gosh...she spoke of boys not wanting to even SPEAK to her...B*****ds. She told me candidly that even though girls were equally bad, it was the boys whose behaviour hurt her even more. Author Gratian Vaz has said that sometimes its being slighted by the opposite sex that hurts more...especially during your teenage years. Thankfully I haven't EVER thought of anything even remotely close to suicide despite being chubby at 20 and about boys...frankly at this time in life: I DON'T CARE..read: I've passed my teenage...:P

Even a certain guy once admitted that during his high school days he could never work it with the girls. No dates for the graduation day party. His self confidence and esteem were quite ill effected. Thankfully he overcame this situation. Yes! I'll add in candidly, God, he said may not have given him much in the looks department but gave him enough in his coffers..:P..so he consulted a makeover artist..and bingo...there's no looking back he says...

So, coming back to the point: is beauty everything. No it ain't. You may read about people who are obsessed about looking good, these by the way are the people who have made the beauty business a billion dollar enterprise. But honestly, as they say: beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. You will always have cases where you may wonder "what beauty does she see in him" or "what beauty does he see in her" or even for people in the same sex...but still it amounts to the same thing. Seeing the GOOD in others, seeing the BEAUTY in others.

Quassimodo found his golden maiden..his small miracle..Even though Socrates was the ugliest man in Rome, we still read and appreciate his philosophies and I know of countless couples where I keep trying to figure out what they saw in each other. But my eye cannot see what there's did. Love is blind..is pretty much in tangent to beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. We all will grow old someday and let me assure you, with all that fat, those wrinkles, we won't make such a pretty sight, unless ofcourse you have the guts and the greens to go under the knife. But if you see the beauty...you will continue to see it.

I know people laugh at the natural beauty BS but I guess its seeing, knowing, appreciating and finally loving a person's essence..thats where personally, beauty lies for me. As for what I find beautiful....hmm..I'm telling myself that there's some beauty in everybody and I must just appreciate that. Though I'll admit head on that Eva, Shaheen, Fer and Winnie: you girls are the prettiest mass commer gals..haha...and NIHI...I love you..and...also that someone up there for being with me always...in essence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home