Peace on the earth and the heavens above

Saturday, August 25, 2007

School bullies
School's over..almost..and well..this might sound fickle..but life has taught me not to keep looking back and thinking about stuff that's practically OVER. MOVE ON....Life is all about transitions afterall...

For those who care...I'm fine..a tad apprehensive about my internship because there are many things I didn't learn coz I didn't take print journ last sem...like shorthand for instance. But well..we need to start somewhere. Other than that life is..as usual...occupied and I feel contented for some reason...beyond my grasp. HOBBIES...thats the word...plus something else that has led to a renewed drive in me.

But the purpose of this entry is to write about something of a more grave nature - school bullies. For time immemorial, I've wanted to be a child psychologist and the the fact that counsellers have become so important in today's harsh academic world just spurs me on. However, ever since my OWN aptitude counseller pointed out that I'm too soft for it...the option has appeared to be but a distant dream. Still, my lack doesn't deter the fact that school kids today are in serious NEED.

Upon reading the "happy slapping" write up in our school's publication - Tribune, and watching the movie - "Odd Girl Out"...I realise just how BAD the situation is...I've witnessed it myself and know just how bad it can get. For one, bullying needn't always be physical...it can be verbal and I'm shocked that many places don't consider verbal abuse worth punishment. The bullies can get away easily...if all they resort to is non-physical abuse - talking ill about a person through websites, blogs, the silent treatment, making fun, joking and all sorts of mentally torturous routines - these I contend are just as bad or worse than physical abuse & school's should have policies in place to tackle such people, especially when it's done to young school kids who are much more venerable to the negative outcomes.

My mother told me about someone who committed suicide because of all the pressure created by such bullies...and I understand the situation fully. Not everyone has the same mental capacity, tolerance levels and character strength. Even if the bully is nothing but a ill-meaning person, the victim still feels depressed by their actions. Under such circumstances what people need is a back-up force to instill the dying drive in the victim and usually a counseller's words often work...Yet school's continue to go without counsellers and even if they HAVE a counseller, nobody really KNOWS about him/her. Often people are ignorant or have the wrong belief that going to the counseller equates to being mental - which is just prepostrous.

School bullies, as I learnt through real life testimony and psychology, are just suffering from some problem themselves which manifests itself in troubling others. No healthy, happy, safe and secure person would ever bother troubling another so much. That's my take...
If you're a victim...PLEASE..consult your school counseller immediately and if that's not an available option speak to a trusting friend or family member..Don't keep quiet and burn within, don't let the bully take charge. period.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home