Peace on the earth and the heavens above

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Out of the ordinary
Following the NASA Columbia Crash years back...a newspaper editorial carried the last words from the now-long-gone astronauts : "Inspiration lies in everyday life and everyday people".
At that moment I found that totally inspirational....but as I continued through life I found that the more I seek the more I find that everyday life isn't as inspiring..even on looking closely. Back in India, the streets are dusty and poverty endemic and practically everywhere I've been- be it India or here in Singapore - the people seem unhappy and discontent with themselves. Hurting other people, speaking ill of them, putting them down seems like the norm. So much so that it feels as though being nice involves a loss in status and bank-ruptcy. Why are we so fake I ask, why can't we move beyond the petty concerns surrounding ourselves and look at the larger picture for once.
There are life-issues to look out for, character flaws that can creep over and ruin you before you realise, topics of global concern to talk about, interests varied and fascinating to occupy yourself with...yet all that people usually come down to in usual chat sessions - shopping, clothes, shoes, make-up, boys, girls, love-interests...yada yada yada. Can't we take a break for once. Breathe easy, live and let live...all in peace?
Unfortunately, as I realise this is fact and what I desire is fiction...but can't for once...the fiction become fact, ordinary life become more fascinating?
I got a reply to this question from a close friend...she said.."inspiration is actually within you...u just need to get it stimulated - be it from ordinary life, classic literature, movies or anything else for that matter" Yes...I guess she's right...there is actually no particular source of inspiration....inspiration strikes in myriad ways...and when it strikes, its the moment that becomes out-of-the-ordinary.
Really...if you observe closely its not people, but their time that really is out-of-the-ordinary and in a moment the ordinary man can become extra-ordinary, placed in an epoche-worthy moment. Lincoln, had his in his 60's...before that..as the timeless tale of perseverance and hope reads - he was ordinary and in fact less than ordinary with a spate of failures.....
I'm tired and eventhough school is an inch away from over, there are exams to contend with. So I bid adieu...hopefully inspiration strikes me in the sunny vacation at Bali awaiting me just after exams...a perfect retreat...as I hear..for the restless mind and the tired body.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home