Peace on the earth and the heavens above

Sunday, February 18, 2007

And it goes on...
Just back from a week (approximately) in Bali...now..ironic as this may sound, everyone is totally fagged except me..(usually the order is reversed). So..I'm here blogging.. while my entire family is deep asleep - the eternal slumber of the tired mind and aching body:P

To confess, eventhough Bali is a beautiful place with lotsa cheap shopping and sight seeing...I couldn't enjoy it as much, because on the very first day I fell sick and sickness persisted till nearly the end :( Nevertheless, I still managed to see quite a few of its breath-taking sights..and soak in the serenity of its beaches and the picturesque sunsets, so thats good. Besides...shopping in Bali is (I confess) not my style - too much bargaining. There is hardly a concept of FIXED PRICE...and people can haggle and get stuff at one-fifth the original price! But I much rather go in, see some nice looking things with the proper marked and fixed price, and buy it...period. No point haggling...but imagine when the shopkeeper himself or herself asks you to bargain!!! That was a first at Bali. Secondly, the taxi's.

In Singapore, and even the rest of the world..in my experience...you hail a cab. But in Bali...the cab finds you. Almost everywhere you go..there will be a cab driver asking you to take his cab. Its quite an experience..haha.

Another something new - having people on the road not just smile at you but even attempt an entire conversation..without any commercial reason..especially if you're an Indian and a Hindu at that.

Almost 90% of the Balinese are Hindu and almost all of them are Bollywood fans. So if you're Indian they go shouting names of famous Bollywood flicks in your face and if you're hindu..further reason to talk..hahaha...in the begining..I was a bit apprehensive of everyone who's an anyone approach me or my family on the street..but later you kinda get used to it. Balinese are quite a homely, laid back bunch from what I gather and are rather hospitable.

Just that...like in any other trip abroad...I miss my mom's home-cooked, Indian meal..my room and my bathroom..haha...honestly..I find that around Asia..including India..the concept of sanitation is rather poor..I was most delighted on finding a decent bathroom in Bali:P

PS- I'm glad that some people browse through my writings..and Nihi..Shall call you soon ya..hope ur exams are going well:).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home