Peace on the earth and the heavens above

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Excuse my quirks when I point out your spelling errors etc..
There are all kinds of people and one type, familiar to many journalists, editors and most of all sub-editors are the infamous grammar nazis.
They claw newspaper copy, cover to cover and painstakingly jot down every single grammar/typo error and then dash these off to the newsroom. I admire them, sometimes, but most of time I wonder what kind of person spends a portion of their 24 hour day in going over every inch of newspaper space and taking note of subbing mistakes - small, grammar mistakes that happen when rushing to beat the clock. No one does it on purpose and no one savours the result.
Factual errors are another ball-game altogether and I wouldn't want to touch upon them. Some ghastly errors have happened over the years in the exciting yet unforgiving and all-encompassing world of media, journalism and reporters.
I wouldn't go to the extent of calling myself a grammar nazi, but yes, obvious errors in copy, including my own, make me cringe. I hate the risk of being labelled a schmuck, but sometimes I can't help myself. Please forgive me, I try, but it's like a bad habit that refuses to go off..I'm trying.
I can't forget a vital lesson a revered English teacher once taught me - "the best thoughts are laid to waste when served in a vessel of bad writing - spelling errors, poor construction and a general appearance of carelessness from the author".
She had given me a miserable 2 out of 7 points for my first ever 1000 word English composition.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home