Peace on the earth and the heavens above

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Acceptance..
Sometimes it's so hard to accept some things...especially stuff that doesn't seem to reflect so well upon you.
Not getting the job you wanted, not getting into the university of your choice, not getting the love you always wanted, not getting the friendship you desired, not getting the posting you desired, not getting the results you wanted..it's a never-ending list.
A friend recently confessed that not getting a friend request accepted on facebook hurts her.
I know only too well what it means to not get what you feel you really want. It's hard when your feelings are not reciprocated, and it's not just in matters of the heart. It hurts real bad, you cry a bit, but eventually you move on..save face..if it was something you blabbered about to others.
But after 20 over years of facing rejection of many different kinds, from not getting the crayon set I wanted to not getting the latest Barbie to losing friendship and love, I've learnt that perhaps accepting and rejoicing in what you already have is definitely one of the many keys to unlock the route to true happiness.
Contentment is never easy, I can preach all that I want but I still want to kick off the excess pounds, get Ivy-league exposure, get a rocking job and get a man who completes me. But a will to try yet accept whatever comes my way saves the day for me, day after day.
I may still end up single, without the Ivy league exposure and with many more pounds to shed, but I think I'll survive it. Acceptance, said Dumbledore is the first step to understanding and ultimately to finding solutions for your life.
On the positive side, what we feel we need isn't always what we really wanted and what we get, that we feel isn't what we needed, is actually what we wanted all the way. Go figure!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home