Peace on the earth and the heavens above

Monday, December 15, 2008

Of Job Hunts and Confusion
So, I quit a cushy placement and education in Singapore to come right back to square one in Mumbai. Do I feel like kicking myself for it, not really...But I'll confess - it certainly is frustrating.
Recession has certainly had a fallout in India albiet of a lesser intensity than other countries. Nevertheless, the job sector has been hit and finding jobs is no easy task especially when you lack the 'famous Indian reference'.
In India...besides qualification and merit, for the first break you need a reference. However, I've never really believed in references, especially because I've never had to resort to them before. In comfort-laden, meritocratic SG, the internet is a useful and reliable medium to apply for jobs. But unfortunately, till now my experience suggests that in India, this medium is only name-sake. Unless - you have the REFERENCE.
None of my immediate family has strayed near the glitzy world of media - newspapers, TV, radio etc etc...Now, I've become a first and am having to crusade for my cause. I've had little success, save an article in The Education Times...atleast that was on my own merit. One of the biggest pluses of being an exception and getting something minus the reference.
Nevertheless, if I do find some good samaritan..willing to help..I would willingly accept it, as long as the 'reference' is known and decent..period.
Alright..wish me luck..and I'll keep my journey posted. Hahaha. It's just been a few weeks, so I'm trying to keep up the optimism, especially because (call it being 'sadistic') I know of people who've had it far worse in seeking employment. Atleast I've a supportive family and am not desperate for livelihood. The job is more a means of intellectual stimulation and finding my feet - earning your bread feels much better than just eating it. Besides, I'd love to gift my parents something from my first permanent salary :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home