Peace on the earth and the heavens above

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Education, teaching etc
I've been writing on education for sometime now..it's taught me one thing for sure..education is certainly my beat of choice..no two ways about that. Reason being, I've always believed in the inimitable power of a good education, the influence of a rock-solid teacher and the thrills of having genuinely devoted students. All three are rare to find, at least in our homeland, the world's largest democracy. Nevertheless, I've always maintained, the most exquisite treasures are also the most elusive.

Besides writing on education, I've also worked in the field. I've taught both intellectually challenged as well as fully capable students wasting their intellect. The latter left me agonising deeply. Why? I question, are young people like that. I'm not as old as a few of my students believe me to be, owing to the 'teacher' tag. But I would rather die than do something like that...but then again..I am different and so are they. Guess, I need to accept them and their attitudes. Self-realisation is just that..SELF realisation. As a teacher perhaps I can motivate, but unless it comes from within, what is a teacher to do..what really is his/ her role?

All I really know is that education is pivotal to the development of our can-be-great nation and good teachers and a sound education are the need of the hour. Eons back Tagore summarised this value of education, of knowledge and learning in his beautiful verse:

"Where knowledge is free; Where the world has not been broken into fragments by narrow domestic walls; Where words come out from the depth of truth; Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection; Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way into the dreary desert...; Where the mind is led forward by thee into ever-widening thought and action --" Clearly knowledge has an incredibly positive aftermath, if only the thirst for knowledge was as greedy as the desire for material possessions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home